Tuesday, January 12, 2010

THE FOOD STORAGE GOURMET

When I think of food storage, my mind goes back to my teen years, when our family was facing a bleak financial time. We lived in a small town in California and my dad was in construction and times were very tough. We lived in tiny two bedroom rental home with no stove or oven and definitely no microwave. All of our meals were made in an electric frying pan. We had our food storage which consisted of a lot of wheat and a product called TVP. If you don't know about TVP, it is actually texturized vegetable protein which has been flavored to taste like meat. Most of our meals for many, many months consisted of something made of wheat and included TVP. When cooking with TVP, you would do anything to mask the fact that it was TVP and not real meat. We had TVP tacos, TVP chili, TVP spaghetti, TVP enchiladas...if it could be made with ground meat, it could be made with TVP.

As I grew older and started my own food storage, I determined that if times ever got tough,(which they have)I would (hopefully) eat what I want to, and not what I have to. I do store the basics...yes...there's even some TVP in the cupboard which I hope I never have to use, but I also store what I like to eat. When times get tough, women need chocolate; so do I store chocolate? You bet! Chocolate cake mix, chocolate chips, chocolate pudding, brownies, cocoa powder, hot chocolate mix--if I get to choose, I'm choosing chocolate!

So to help us think outside the box...this blog is a recipe exchange.

Each week we will list an ingredient that you can have in your food storage. The Post will start with "What can you do with a (ingredient)?" Please post your recipes and comments as we expand our culinary abilities.

In posting recipes, please make sure that it is one that could be made with most ingredients on hand. (freezer, fridge, pantry, garden)

1 comment: